Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing

Friday, November 4, 2016

Fourth Grade is an interesting beast. If you don't say something just right, they won't listen and if you say it with the wrong tone, they'll laugh at you. These are all the things I found out in my first few weeks of co-teaching fourth grade. Now don't worry, things have gotten a lot better since then. You see, my Cooperating Teacher is magic. Have you ever tried learning magic? If you have, you know it doesn't come easily at first. It takes practice... lots and lots of practice. If I had a dollar for every time a fellow teacher said, "It just takes time...." well, I'd be making more than I make teaching. I get it. Keep working and the magic will come. The trouble is, I want to have all the magic right this second. I don't want to wait around! I am working hard to learn the tricks of the trade. No power struggles on my watch. Magic is hard to learn but I am learning it and that is enough to put a smile on my face.

All in all, fourth grade has been pretty amazing. Do I still want to teach Kindergarten, ABSOLUTELY. But, for now, I'll take my -in desperate need of deodorant- kiddos. Teaching an upper grade has been a wonderful challenge that is teaching me so many skills that are going to help me be an amazing teacher. Thank you to all of you who have never stopped believing in me and who have helped me get to where I am. I hope to inspire at least one person in my journey and help a kid or two along the way. The hard work is worth it.

Stay strong and keep moving forward.

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger